Thursday, September 3, 2009

Building Faith in your Dream

STRUGGLING TO LIVE THE DREAM

So how DO you build faith in yourself?

Lack of belief in oneself is a career killer.

I keep shifting gears in what I'm doing because I second guess myself every time I sit down at the computer.

Is this THE ONE? If it isn't--should I really put all this valuable time into it? Time doesn't repeat itself. There's only so much sand in the hour glass. What if that other book is THE ONE? The one I haven't plotted out yet. Or--maybe I should drag out one of the others I left sitting on the shelf waiting for a rewrite.

Scores of motivational speakers and writers pretty much all say the same thing...

* Think of your dream and imagine yourself reaching that.

* Stop thinking of what you can’t do but begin to think of the things that you can do. Be a “yes” person. At least to yourself.

* Think BIG, believe BIG. Just concentrate on soaring upwards.

I've tried the early morning affirmations, but looking at myself in the mirror doesn't inspire me to say over and over, "You can do it, you're a success."

All I see is a face that really needs some makeup.

What I need is a good slogan that says SUCCESS.

Ummmmm...

HOW ABOUT A POEM?

'Tis a lesson you should heed.
Try, try again;
If at first you don't succeed,
Try, try again;
Then your courage should appear,
For if you will persevere,
You will conquer, never fear;
Try, try again.

5 comments:

Lori-ann said...

Self doubt is the WORST thing to cause someone to lose hope. Without hope, we are nothing. I have been dealing with self doubt as well. I think we all do, especially in the creative field because you are literally making an extension of yourself and putting it out there for all to see and judge. But listen, if YOU are happy and thrilled with what you have accomplished, then it does NOT MATTER what other people think. Yes, we all want to be successful, but if you are true to YOURSELF, then that success will come in one form or another. The people who create just for that "success" lose something, their creativity lost that heart and is lacking.

Just keep at it and don't let that little self doubt bug in and implant itself and do some damage - where it will go and then where will you be? Years down the road regretting that you didn't take action!

So TAKE ACTION NOW! You never know if tomorrow you won't be able to.

There's my pep talk. I give this to myself all the time!

Now on to miles that I haven't posted in a week - sorry! 16.8 miles of various activities - elliptical, treadmill, step master.

There and back again...and again... said...

I couldn't have said it better Lori-ann.

Particularly the line:

"but if you are true to YOURSELF, then that success will come in one form or another".

I need to remember that in my own life too.

Love you both!

Terra

Anonymous said...

I'm chanting a line to myself that I read in the book "The Artists Way". When a woman was told to go for her dream of finishing school, the woman replied, "But do you have any idea how old I'll be when I finish?" To which the author said, "The same age as if you hadn't."

So, I can either have something to show for that time or I can't. So I'm repeating that to try and force myself to act on it.

Deborah Talmadge said...

What great comments. Encouragement from others is a real boost. Terra, it's good to hear from you.

Unknown said...

My self pep talks are pretty short: Just Do It! Pick a step or a book or a corner of the house I need to clean and just start. Before long you will have gotten some done, then a little more, then a little more, until finally it's finished. The ability to break things down into do-able steps is an important skill we're trying to teach our kids. Because if you spend your whole time fretting about the time you *might* be wasting then you *for sure* are wasting time fretting. ;)

Not nearly as long as Lori-ann's comment. I second everyone else's words, btw.