Monday, August 31, 2009

The Writer Flu

GIVEUPITIS
THROWINTHETOWELOSIS

or maybe it's just
THE END OF THE SUMMER BLAHS.


What ever it is, it's infected the Blogosphere.

Writers in alarming numbers are complaining of
Lackofconfidence fever,
Chuckingeverythingandstartingover Syndrome,
Procrastinationitis,
and Iwritecrapola.

Personally, I have Chronic Editingitis. I take all the motivation remedies and fight it off for a while. But when I let up it comes back--sometimes with a vengeance.

So what's the inoculation against this writer's malaise? Perhaps prevention is the answer. Maybe the reason why a writer writes is the problem.

I find Holly Lisle's Writing Diary a big help when I'm flagging and hate everything I've done and want to start over, or go to something else.

"Write only because you love to write, because sitting down and weaving a tale out of thin air makes your heart sing and your pulse race. Write ONLY because it makes you happy."

Holly Lisle--Official Author Home Page

That's a lot better than a flu shot.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Anything is better than a flu shot, except another shot. blech.

Stupid Writer Flu...I think I'm getting over mine, and it lasted all summer and is coming back as school starts.

Go figure.

Unknown said...

I hear you! Very cute post. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm with Hannah on the flu shots.

I'm trying to get over my writer's flu. I don't know how well it's going though.

What about you?

Unknown said...

Thanks for the advice, Deb!! ^_^

(in reference to recent blog post...)

Elana Johnson said...

Wow, I'm so glad it's not just me with all these symptoms! This made me laugh out loud. Thanks!

JosephAlsarraf said...

Hello, I found your blog from Google images, I love to write and I have four blogs that I write or, try to write on daily. I like people who like to write for fun and not for a job. I don't have don't have the writer flu but, I have been having a case of writer's block recently. : )