Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Going Back to Pen and Paper

I wrote my first two books on index cards because I could carry them in my pocket everywhere I went. The entire Heldan novel was written while I hiked. The index cards came out every time I stopped to rest or take in the scenery.

When computers became available for personal use I thought they were great because retyping pages and chapters to make changes became a lot easier. But you couldn't carry one in your pocket wherever you went.

After several manuscripts I was a sedentary person, with the figure to show it. I decided for my health I had to go back to the walking and writing. I didn't use index cards though. I switched to the 5 1/2 x 3 1/2 inch notebooks. They had 200 ruled sheets and fit nicely in my pocket.

So I wrote an entire manuscript that way. Typing it into the computer works as the second draft where I fix obvious problems. Then I can go onward from there.

The computer is a wonderful tool for a writer. Editing is much easier than it used to be. Carrying a notebook and pen has not only allowed me to get my walking in, but it also has helped me tap into my earlier creative self.



PREVIOUS POSTS

posted January 15, 2013

No comments: