Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Creating A Sanctuary

A SPACE OF YOUR OWN

As writers we need some alone time to set the stage for creative reflection. A sanctuary offers a place to indulge our creative spirit to fuel our creative process.

Not everybody has the luxury of an entire room In that case carve out a corner in your living room or bedroom.

Once I created a getaway space in a wardrobe, complete with huge pillow, blankets and books. Get a chair and a basket filled with things you love - books, pictures, cds. If you don't create the space where you can go, you might not take the time to be alone. Surround yourself with meaningful treasures.

If you listen to music get a player with earphones. Or you might get candles or a string of small lights to enhance the relaxed, meditative mood for your personal space.

From time to time I have used my car as a getaway office. It was perfect because I could go anywhere.
My favorite spots were a high vantage point where I could overlook the whole valley and the cemetery where I was guaranteed privacy.

In a pinch, you could always turn your bathroom into an office. Lock the door, ignore the pounding from the other side and write.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually know mommies who have locked themselves in the bathroom for 15 minutes and scribbled on a notepad just to get in their wordcounts! Now that is dedication!

Anonymous said...

I love this! It is so true. I have an office where I can close the door in need be. I also just re-decorated it, to make it feel more comfortable and creative.