Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Status: Juggling everything I have to do
Song: What Scares You Most - Manic Bloom


A Book I Didn't Think I'd Like.

When I read the description of this book on Amazon it reminded me of M. Night Shyamalan's The Village. I wondered if Carrie Ryan wrote something similar (and how could she without legal consequences?), then wondered if she fixed what I thought was a major flaw in the movie. My curiosity got the better of me, so I picked it up.

Read it in one day.

Did I like it? Obviously it kept me interested.

What did I think of it? It's beautifully written. Puzzling because I don't like present tense. I was half way into the first chapter before I realized it was in present tense.

I spent the rest of the time trying to figure out how Carrie Ryan had accomplished it without it feeling like present tense.

What did I think of the story? It isn't my usual read. I've stayed up countless nights reading Dean Koontz and others. I read a lot of dark fantasy--YA and what not. But I usually stay away from this subject. Interesting that I finished it.

Is it like The Village? Sort of, but way creepier.

By the end I had a few questions I can't pose here without spoiling the book for others.

I liked it. But after a few days of thinking about it, I think I'm more disturbed by it. And those questions have only gotten stronger.

Don't be surprised to see The Forest of Hands and Teeth on the big screen someday. It's exactly the kind of story movie producer's will be anxious to get their hands on.

See Carrie Ryan's blog page here. [Link]

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds like an interesting book. I'll definitely have to look into it.

Unknown said...

I get to borrow it! I'm excited... I think.

Tabitha said...

I liked it too, and I'm not a zombie fan. I also don't like present tense, but Carrie Ryan handled it pretty darned well. Most writers can't. I'm looking forward to the sequel, even though I have to wait a year. :)

Deborah Talmadge said...

Thanks for dropping by, Tabitha - The cover for the sequel looks interesting. Too bad there's the waiting for the next.

Tabitha said...

I like the cover too, and was surprised it's done already! Maybe that means we'll get it sooner? Ah, one can only hope. :)

BTW, I love all your dragon pics.